Replies to cvs-commits on fedora-extras-commits-list at redhat.com to this list from now on

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Nov 14 06:05:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 21:32 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 05:54 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > If feedback to commits would go to fedora-commits-list, only, you could
> > not avoid having to read fedora-commits-list. Now, you can.
>
> I filter the list with an evolution vFolder.
> I only see my commits and responses to my commits.
>
> I _have_ to do it that way.

With the change applied this is not true, anymore.

>  Otherwise - I might miss a response due to
> the volume of commits.

... in future, you won't see many (if any) comments anymore.

> There are times when I browse the commits list - but they are rare,
> usually when I'm bored and I'm looking at what other packagers have
> recently done. That's it.
That's not much different from how I read it (I am filtering into an
evolution folder and automatically delete some mails matching certain
filter rules).

> I know a few packagers do read them and respond - and I greatly
> appreciate those who do - I'm just usually not one of them.

... I occasionally do, when I think somebody is doing something stupid
or harmful, ... but what you see here only is the tip of the iceberg ..
I am far from systematically reading or commenting on check-ins.

> Perhaps I
> should be when I have the time, but forcing responses to that list isn't
> going to affect me - I have to filter so that I catch responses to my
> commits, I filter to a vFolder so that it is easy to see they are there
> when they are there - and I read them in the vFolder.

... it is going to affect you, because people like me will unsubscribe
from fedora-commits-lists, because there is not any reason to read it
anymore. It definitely spares me a lot of trouble, such as having to
justify my comments with others, and definitely spares me having to cope
with other's comments (Due to the high number of packages, I maintain, I
receive a considerable amount of comments).

If that's what's intended, go ahead ... I feel this step is harmful to
the Fedora Project.

Ralf