Package submission process

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Sat Oct 15 19:23:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> i wish i knew of a way to get bugzilla to tell me a time history for
> FE-NEW nad FE-REVIEW so I could do this more systematically.

When it comes to Bugzilla and its features one might say that we use it a
bit strangely in FE, using blocking bugs like checkpoints etc.

Thing is that Bugzilla is an "incident management" system, that's it, it's
supposed to handle bugs from discovery to resolution. FE effectively use
it for what people in other fields call "change management" or
"requirements management" or whatever buzzword you like in the same
style. You may say FE Bugzilla is being used as a project planning,
resource allocation and work distribution system. It does this pretty
well (strangely enough) but wasn't invented to do that. Bug dependencies,
assignments and relations between "bugs" (which aren't really bugs) do the
trick.

That said, Bugzilla is growing every day and I bet there are a lot of
people out there who DO want to use Bugzilla for all this kind of stuff.
And sooner or later I believe Bugzilla will be patched and hacked up to
actually do it in an organized manner too...

Linus