Buildsys primer

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Sep 11 21:05:46 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Linus Walleij wrote:
> Is there some document on what is actually set up and happening on the
> other end of the build system?
>
> I am more looking into knowing what versions of compiler and accompanying
> tools may be expected to carry out the compilation... I would guess a
> standard FC-X / devel base distribution to do the packaging for respective
> target but what do I know. Where do you go reading?

There is some buildsystem documentation about setting up your own buildsystem in
the README file, but that doesn't cover what you are looking for.

In short, the buildsystem uses whatever is the current package set at any given
time in Fedora, Fedora Updates, and Fedora Extras.  Whatever the latest packages
are that exist for Ce+Updates and Extras are what get installed in the
buildroots for each package build.  When a gcc update gets pushed to Fedora Core
4 Updates, the build systems will use that to compile all subsequent packages.

Dan