What todo with upstream content in .noarch.rpm format?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Apr 10 16:20:54 UTC 2006

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RD> If you meant to imply these upstream rpms should forego the usual
> RD> cvs import and buildsystem, then no, can't/shouldn't be done.
>
> I think the problem is that upstream doesn't distribute tarballs, they
> only give noarch.rpm files.  We can't just drop those in; there aren't
> even any SRPMs to review or rebuild.

We could kindly nudge them to provide the source to these rpms, since they
*are* licensed as GPL afterall.

Note the use of the phrase phrase "kindly nudge".  Awhile back, I tried
doing the same (but less kindly and more than a nudge) for another
not-to-be-named-here software vendor who provides rpms (and source
tarballs), but neither src.rpm nor .spec's, and got flame-blasted for even
mentioning it.

-- Rex