RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 21:14:20 UTC 2006

On 1/10/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> This afaik is a philosophy of having a known good kernel as a backup
> *that at least boots the system*. That should be no problem because
> kernel-modules in extras normally are not boot-critical.

Is "normally" good enough? I don't think we can assume that all mods
in Extras won't be boot-critical by design, nor can we assume that
people using a module won't find its boot-critical for them.  If
someone is "abnormally" using a kernel module from Extras that is
boot-critical for them.. shouldn't there be a mechanism available to
the local admin to override the "normal" removal that would happen for
that specific kernel module?  We are talking about hardware level
support here... i don't think "normal" can be the defining standard.

-jef"if it were normal.. it'd be in the mainline"spaleta