Newbie question on what extras would be interested in

Jonathan Day imipak at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 19:22:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

This may be a newbie question, but is probably a
little on the unusual side. It certainly isn't covered
in the online documentation as far as I could see.

Ok, the problem is this. There are probably about 50
software projects I actively track and use, which
don't currently exist in RPM form, most of which are
GPL or BSD (the rest all have OSI-approved licences)
and none of them contain any proprietary, closed or
patented technology. It covers a wide range, from
scientific software to networking software to
programming languages to real-time support to software
instrumentation/evaluation to games to graphics
libraries.

I wouldn't have the time (or disk space) to package
everything, but then I seriously doubt extras would
want everything - or probably even the bulk of these
packages.

My quesrtion is therefore simple: What sort of rules
of thumb have been learned, over time, on what sort of
software project makes for a good, solid first submission?