Mass rebuild of Extras packages for FC6? (was: Re: Mass rebuild of core packages coming soon)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jul 1 10:25:54 UTC 2006

Hi

I suppose a lot of people won't like the topic I'll bring up with this
mail but we IMHO should discuss this nevertheless.

Jesse Keating schrieb:
> I've been requested to rebuild every Core package for a few reasons.
>
> 1) rpm signing w/ sha256sum
> 2) New toolset feature to speed up dynamic lib linking by 50%~
> 3) get all packages built through new build system (brew)

Change the last point to

3) get all packages build with the new and reduced set of packages
installed in the default mock buildroot

and add

4) make sure all packagers/contributors are still around just a we did
during the mass-rebuild for FC5

Now it makes four good reasons to build all Extras packages in devel
before FC6.

Opinions? And if your opinion is "No mass-rebuild of Extras for FC6"
then please give some ideas how to realize the goals stated above
without a mass-rebuild.

CU
thl

BTW, does anyone have details on the technical background of "New
toolset feature to speed up dynamic lib linking by 50%~" ?