nx requires and provides

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Jun 10 18:16:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:08:24 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MS> I believe this to be a packaging design bug. In my view it makes
> MS> no sense to have a dependency "noarch -> arch-specific".
>
> But it is impossible not to have such dependencies.  Every noarch Perl
> and Python module is going to require Perl or Python.  If I package up
> nothing more than a simple shell script it's going to require
> /bin/sh.  And its quite easy to think of ways that noarch packages
> might depend on some arch-specific package that won't build on 64-bit
> or PPC or whatever.

Sorry. I didn't refer to the general case, but to the nx+freenx pair. When
you know that nx is not available on one platform, you cannot (should
not!) make freenx noarch and let it depend on a non-available nx.

For the general case, yes, of course noarch->arch-specific deps can occur
in many cases and can be beneficial (wrt heterogenous environments,
mounted network filesystems etc.)