nx requires and provides

David Nečas (Yeti) yeti at physics.muni.cz
Sat Jun 10 19:04:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 08:16:39PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > But it is impossible not to have such dependencies.  Every noarch Perl
> > and Python module is going to require Perl or Python.  If I package up
> > nothing more than a simple shell script it's going to require
> > /bin/sh.  And its quite easy to think of ways that noarch packages
> > might depend on some arch-specific package that won't build on 64-bit
> > or PPC or whatever.
>
> Sorry. I didn't refer to the general case, but to the nx+freenx pair. When
> you know that nx is not available on one platform, you cannot (should
> not!) make freenx noarch and let it depend on a non-available nx.

The right place to hardcode the architectures where package
A builds isn't the spec file of an architecture independent
package B.  Even if the two are related (well, when
a package depends on another they are usually related).
Package B simply works everywhere where A is availabe and
that's all.  The real problem is that there is no mechanism
to infer the exclusion of B from the unavailability of A and
depdndency of B on A (it would be the opposite of the
broken dependencies check).

Yeti

--
Anonyms eat their boogers.