Documentation packages in Package Naming Guidelines (and standards)

Hugo Cisneiros hugo at devin.com.br
Sat Jun 10 02:46:53 UTC 2006

Hi,

While packaging, I needed to create a separate documentation package because
of its many documentation files. In the PackageGuidelines, we have this:

"Any relevant documentation included in the source distribution should be
included in the package. Irrelevant documentation include build instructions,
the omnipresent INSTALL file containing generic build instructions, for
example, and documentation for non-Linux systems, e.g. README.MSDOS. Pay also
attention about which subpackage you include documentation in, for example
API documentation belongs in the -devel subpackage, not the main one. Or if
there's a lot of documentation, consider putting it into a subpackage. In
this case, it is recommended to use *-doc as the subpackage name, and
Documentation as the value of the Group tag."

I think this should be placed in the Package Naming Guidelines too.

BTW, I noted that some packages in Extras have a *-docs sub-package instead of
*-doc. Talking with Jason Tibbitts in IRC, he said that this is normal. Is
there a standard for this or it's up to the packager/reviewer?

Thanks for your attention,

--
[]'s
Eitch

http://www.devin.com.br/eitch/
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds