Remove devel branch for obsoleted packages from CVS? (Was: Re: FE Package Status of Mar 22, 2006)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Mar 24 02:31:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 18:10 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.03.2006, 17:39 +0100 schrieb
> Christian.Iseli at licr.org:
> > > Obsoleted by the FC aqbanking package.
> > Ok.  I put it in Extras/PackagesNoLongerInDevel
>
> Okay, that works for now, but we need a real solution. Otherwise we'll
> create branches for this and similar packages forever and Extras CVS
> will be a real mess because of this old entry that are useless.
>
> @CVS-Admins: Would it be okay to remove the devel branch for packages
> like this?

Per the discussion during the meeting this afternoon (and this has
probably been followed up, but mail is being slow)

I'd rather not remove the devel branches as we could potentially lose
history that way, especially if we ever have to bring a package back.
I'd rather go with creating a file, eg, dead.package in the devel branch
and hopefully have it filled with the justification for _why_ it's no
longer needed.  Then, we can use that file to key that it's a devel
branch which shouldn't need branching for new releases

Jeremy