FC6 planning - how to change the version that ends up in FC6

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:38:21 UTC 2006

On 3/28/06, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking about building the HDF5 1.7 branch in FE development for
> testing purposes.  If it becomes the next upstream stable by the time
> FC6 is released, then it goes into FE6.  However, if it doesn't I'll
> want to revert to the 1.6 series.  Watching the FC5/FE5 release process
> I'm not sure if this would have been possible.
>
> Thoughts, suggestions?

Sure it would have been possible as long as you made your rollback to
1.6 series before the branch point of fe6.

Does Extras development have an explicit garuntee of an update path
inside the development branch itself?  If not.. all you do revert the
codebase in extras devel cvs and push a build of the older code base
before devel branches for fe6. I believe this is pretty much how Core
handles situations where codebases have to be rolled back late in the
testing.

If you need/want to keep the update path working cleaning from one
devel update to another (which I frankly think is an unneeded burden)
then you up the epoch number when you revert to the older version
number.  Epoch allows the lower version number'd package that you
build looks "newer" when rpm does its version comparison. But like i
said I think working about update paths which only affect development
tree users is overkill and leads to epoch inflation.

-jef