FC6 planning - how to change the version that ends up in FC6

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Mar 29 15:46:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 12:07 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I'm thinking about building the HDF5 1.7 branch in FE development for
> testing purposes.  If it becomes the next upstream stable by the time
> FC6 is released, then it goes into FE6.  However, if it doesn't I'll
> want to revert to the 1.6 series.  Watching the FC5/FE5 release process
> I'm not sure if this would have been possible.
>
> Thoughts, suggestions?

Hi Orion,

The new and hopefully-out-of-beta-soon netCDF v4 is based upon HDF5.  We
use netCDF v3 routinely and are hoping that v4 will bring some cool and
useful improvements.  I'm planning on getting better acquainted with v4
as soon as a more pressing project gets knocked off.

If you generate new HDF5 SRPMs and put them on a web server somewhere
then I'll be happy to test them and to (try to, anyway!) create
compatible netCDF v4 SRPMs.  Perhaps this is something that we could
work on together outside of the FE CVS area?  And then, if it works well
enough, pull them into FE CVS?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD