Naming guidelines question

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri May 26 22:26:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 21:31 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> how about turning things upside down
> and keeping the current guideline in effect, but adding to it that a
> fully versioned all lowercase Provides for the package's name must be
> present if the package's name itself is not all lowercase

This part I agree with, I think it seems to make sense, and I'll take it
to FESCO for consideration. This way, if people want to use the name
(some upstream groups are VERY picky about what we call their code) they
can do so, and fans of a unified lowerspace universe can find what
they're searching for.

I don't want to take the additional step to tell people that they should
use the lowercase dependencies in other packages, because once we've got
the Provides for every case, it doesn't matter. Additional overhead for
minimal benefit, IMHO.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!