Trouble with the new Amarok version

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat May 27 00:04:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 22:17 +0200, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > The question is though: how useful is the HelixPlayer engine in practice?
>
> It works pretty well here, reading ogg vorbis files. I don't know how to add
> mp3 support to Helix, but there is still the possibility to get the xine
> engine from /somewhere else/. Since without this additional repo you
> wouldn't be able to read mp3 files anyway, I think it's not a problem.
>
> If you suggest I should add back gst10 on all archs, I'd rather follow the
> dev's opinion on the maturity of this engine, unless I have no other choice
> (as on x86_64). Having no streaming support without warning with gst10
> surprised me a lot, and will probably be the source of many bug reports.

Reviving this thread since people are discussing it on irc:

Maybe there is value in having an amarok-gst10 and a amarok-helix? gst10
seems to be the only way anyone will get mp3 support without a
recompile.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!