New Comps Groups

Rick L Vinyard Jr rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Tue Nov 28 01:33:33 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Christopher Stone (chris.stone at gmail.com) said:
>
>>> Why, out of curiosity? In what cases are these something that a user
>>> wants to explicitly wade through 100 listings for?
>>>
>> I do not understand this question?  Is it somehow better to wade
>> through 1000s of packages to find something instead?  Please rephrase
>> your question to be more specific.
>>

> We already have a 'package search' interface for finding packages - is
> listing 100 (or however many) python-* packages better than this? In
> what way? Are they not getting pulled in for dependencies when necessary?
>
> Basically, what's the use case for when a user would want to scroll through
> all of python-* or perl-* looking for a package?

Discovery... as a user two of the things I miss most about the available
package managers that I loved in aptitude are:
1) Categorized packages
2) 'New' packages

When I'm writing an application in language L and need some
functionality X, browsing through the devel packages for package P that
provides X in L is pretty handy.

As a user (developer's are users too) I like it.