Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Oct 30 01:31:54 UTC 2006

Christopher Stone <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:

[..]

> I *think* the point he is trying to make is that some people don't
> like 3rd party repositories overriding Fedora Extras without good
> reason and some other people dont like Fedora Extras maintainers
> adding packages in Fedora Extras without first consulting with the 3rd
> party repositories.

Ludicrous. That would give *third* parties, unrelated ones at that, a sort
of veto power.

> Which goes back to my original idea of having an official Fedora wiki
> page that lists 3rd party repositories.  Fedora Extras maintainers
> could then check this wiki page to find out which repositories might
> already have a package available for the package they want to submit.

If it is an "official twiki", they aren't really third party anymore. Plus,
am I supposed to register my own local repository there too? How do you
weigh repositories like ATrpms vs MyOwnLocalRepo? What do you do with
repositories which include (or are mostly composed of) stuff that Fedora
wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole?

Who would do the (massive!) work to keep this up to date and reasonably
accurate? Quite a boring job too, so it is rather unlikely a bunch of
volunteers show up...