Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Oct 30 10:58:34 UTC 2006

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Christopher Stone <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> I *think* the point he is trying to make is that some people don't
>> like 3rd party repositories overriding Fedora Extras without good
>> reason and some other people dont like Fedora Extras maintainers
>> adding packages in Fedora Extras without first consulting with the 3rd
>> party repositories.
>
> Ludicrous. That would give *third* parties, unrelated ones at that, a sort
> of veto power.

+1.

It seems to me if a conflict exists between FE and a third-party repo,
this is by definition the problem of the 3rd party repo maintainer,
since nothing was preventing him/her to either submit the conflicting
package into FE in the first place, or at least review the FE submission.

And on the subject of a wiki page with available 3rd party repositories,
it certainly should only contain repos that are *designed* to be add-on
repos over FC and FE, in that order.