Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Oct 25 10:36:23 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm wrote :

> Sorry, but I miss the humor in this, and I'm busy fixing broken stuff
> to get further into this.

Well, don't think just about the present, think about the long term :
You'll also be getting annoying reports about overriding Extras
packages regarding libpri, zaptel and asterisk, and the usual bad
publicity that accompanies it :-(
We'd be all much better off if it can be avoided!

To avoid this you could have submitted your packages for Extras
inclusion, but it's too late now. What you can do is :
1) Try to pause the asterisk inclusion into Extras until further
   discussion happens (i.e. someone answers the "Why a beta?")
2) Try to have asterisk and its dependencies not released for FC5
3) Join the discussions that are going on in the bugzilla reviews
...possibly more.

I understand why you're unhappy, but I'm just trying to point out that
you need to understand that the small "Red Hat Linux" ecosystem has now
evolved in a much more complex "Fedora Core + Fedora Extras" one, which
is trickier for external packagers on one hand, but simpler on the
other since one has now less external packages to manage. Obviously,
for packagers like Dag and you who try to cover as many RHEL and Fedora
releases as possible, the "simpler" part doesn't really apply all that
much... but it could... think "Extras for RHEL" which has been
mentioned a few times already, for which I really encourage you to get
involved ASAP in order to help get things right, and in a way that
won't lead to problems like this asterisk one.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.92 (FC6 Test3) - Linux kernel 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
Load : 0.03 0.09 0.09