Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Oct 25 16:51:05 UTC 2006

Le mercredi 25 octobre 2006 à 18:08 +0200, Axel Thimm a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 12:02:40PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > That's why you assume that every package will be published.  We do it in Core,
> > we should do it in Extras.  If you're so concerned, drive the QA project to
> > include Extras, do freezes in development land of Extras and actually DO a
> > release, rather than the rolling stuff that happens now.  Don't want Extras
> > to be a second class citizen, do something about it.
>
> But I am (by asking for example for a testing stage repo and for
> conservative builds in FE and no beta/pre/cvs/svn dumps).

IMHO a full-universe testing repo will only evolve in a second rawhide
due to package inter-dependencies and temporal overlap of testing
operations. The release discipline problems won't be easier to solve
just because of the "testing" name

Targeted temporary testing spaces (à la p.r.c.) may be more useful, but
setting them up will take more admin work than just creating another
branch.

> FWIW I also
> agree about trying to move the release model closer to FC's, and this
> is probably inevitable in the long term anyway when FC and FE will
> converge further.

+1 for hardening the existing process (whoot? I agree with Axel on
something???). It's time to recognise FE can learn from FC just as FC
learnt from FE.

--
Nicolas Mailhot