[Fedora-i18n-list] Japanese also almost working... Now fonts are toasted too

D M dmason at jersey.uoregon.edu
Fri Jul 2 07:57:05 UTC 2004

OK, I have the 11-4-60 packages installed, am trying to do Japanese input in
English KDE, Fedora core 2:

> rpm -qa |fgrep iiim
iiimf-client-lib-devel-11.4-60
iiimf-csconv-11.4-60
iiimf-le-canna-11.4-60
iiimf-client-lib-11.4-60
iiimf-x-11.4-60
iiimf-docs-11.4-60
iiimf-protocol-lib-devel-11.4-60
iiimf-gtk-11.4-60
iiimf-emacs-11.4-60
iiimf-protocol-lib-11.4-60
iiimf-server-11.4-60

My .i18n contains the following:

XIM=htt

processes running:

htt       2267  0.0  0.0  2472  324 ?        S    23:25   0:00 /usr/sbin/htt
htt       2268  0.0  0.5 26000 2992 ?        S    23:25   0:00 htt_server
-nodaemon
dmason    3135  0.0  0.2  5816 1348 ?        S    23:33   0:00 httx
dmason    3137  0.0  0.7 21020 3984 ?        S    23:33   0:00 htt_xbe

Now if I hit ctrl-space in a KDE window, I get a small rectangle on its lower
left with only a pair of square brackets...  If I do so in kmail, which I'm
using now...

はい。これです。

I can type the above, but cannot see any text in the input window.  Which
makes selecting kanji sort of a guessing game...  I can only see the Japanese
text after I hit return.  The windows appear to behave as they should, but I
just don't see any text until I commit the character.

If I do the same in Mozilla, I get the little rectangle with an [あ], and am
able to enter Japanese as usual, able to select kanji, everything works fine.

If I create a brand new new account, start it in Japanese mode, input works
perfectly with KDE apps, and I can see the Japanese characters in the input
window.  If I log out, then log back in in English, no input window comes up.
If I add the XIM=htt line in .i18n, log out, log back in then I get the same
behavior as my accout -- the input window pops up but I can't see anything
inside the brackets & no kanji.

Everything seems to be mechanically working, but for some reason the character
window only picks up the font if I am entering text in mozilla.  I don't think
this is a feature with my misadventure with the Sazanami fonts, since I had
this same behavior before I tried upgrading.

Anyway, let me know if there's more tests I can try or switches that may not
have been switched, etc.

Thanks!

--D