[Fedora-i18n-list] Japanese also almost working... Now fonts are toasted too

D M dmason at jersey.uoregon.edu
Wed Jul 7 05:17:19 UTC 2004

On Sunday 04 July 2004 19:25, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> Hi,

> DM> I believe I did have these problems with 11.4-46.svn1587, and since its
> not DM> clear 60 is helping anything I'll revert back and try again...
>
> What the problem did you see on -46.svn1587?

Everything seems to work, except the input window does not display any
characters when I try to input Japanese.  It displays a small window at the
bottom.... here -- I just attached a screenshot (attached .jpg)  It does work
fine within mozilla however -- I can see what I type, select kanji, do
everything I would expect...  I haven't customized very much package-wise,
trying to stick to official FC2 packages, updating as updates come available
(haven't done the X update yet though)

> When I just tested httx with LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 on kedit (and KDE), but it works
> fine. which version of ttfonts-ja have you installed btw? if
> it's a testing package for Sazanami fonts, please revert it
> too to track your problem down efficiently.

What's interesting is when I set the LC_CTYPE env. variable like above, then
fire up kedit -- no input window appears when I hit ctrl-space, and I cannot
enter any Japanese.  If I then unsetenv LC_CTYPE, it seems to work again, but
I of course can't see whats in the input window.  As for ttfonts-ja I'm
currently using ttfonts-ja-1.2-34

Other env. variables that may be relevant:

SUPPORTED=en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en:ja_JP.UTF-8:ja_JP:ja
XIM=htt
XMODIFIERS=@im=htt
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

/usr/sbin/htt is running under htt's uid, as is htt_server -nodaemon

httx, htt_xbe are also running under my uid.

Let me know if what else you might need to know...

--D