[Fedora-i18n-list] libwrap and "Can't communicate with IIIM server" error

Chong Kai Xiong descender at phreaker.net
Mon Mar 1 12:10:01 UTC 2004

Hi everyone.

It seems that I'm not the only one getting the 'Can't communicate with
IIIM server' error. It turns out that in my case, the /etc/hosts.allow
and /etc/hosts.deny configuration was overly restrictive.

From /var/log/messages:

Mar  1 15:34:02 dreamerbox htt_server[3563]: started.
Mar  1 15:34:04 dreamerbox htt_server[3563]: Denied the access from
localhost.localdomain.
Mar  1 15:34:16 dreamerbox htt_server[3563]: Denied the access from
localhost.localdomain.

According to the comments in /usr/lib/im/htt.conf, htt_server uses
libwrap (tcp_wrappers) for access control. I took a look at /etc/hosts.
allow and /etc/hosts.deny, and this revealed the cause:

/etc/hosts.deny:
ALL:ALL

/etc/hosts.allow:
(empty)

To get it to work, I simply added this line to /etc/hosts.allow:

htt_server: 127.0.0.1

Next, I restarted the server (may not be necessary as htt_server could
reread /etc/hosts.allow on an connection attempt) with:

service IIim restart

From then on, I no longer get the error. IIIM input works as far as I'm
concerned.

Take note that htt_server now runs as user htt (iiimf-server-11.4-21).
If you get the following message in /var/log/messages, modify the
permissions of /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny such that user htt
can access them:

Mar  1 18:15:47 dreamerbox htt_server[5971]: warning: cannot open /etc/
hosts.allow: Permission denied

That's all.

I hope this works for other folks experiencing the same problem.

Cheers,

Chong Kai Xiong
aka 'Descender'

P.S. I hope the Simplified Chinese LE gets as good as SCIM's.