[Fedora-i18n-list] Testing Simplified Chinese Input

Leon Ho llch at redhat.com
Sun Sep 12 23:40:59 UTC 2004

> > If you want to use zh_TW.UTF-8 on system wide you
> > should change
> > LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8, if not, you can put
> > LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8 into your ~/.i18n
> >
> > > $ cat /home/satimis/.i18n
> > > XIM=iiimf-le-xcin
> >
> > It would be:
> > XIM=htt

You change ~/.i18n for reflecting the locale you want on the user basis,
or change /etc/sysconfig/i18n to reflect on system wide. You don't have
to change both.

> Whether I have to change both of the abovementioned.
> In doing so, can Chinese Input start automatically on
> login KDE/GNOME desktop selecting 'Language session'
> as Traditional Chinese/Simplied Chinese
>
> OR
>
> How can I evoke Chinese Input automatically whenever
> login KDE/GNOME (Language - Trad Chinese or Simplied
> Chinese) instead of starting on terminal/terminals
> each time.

You don't need to specify any language selection in gdm if you have edit
any of the file above. If you haven't change/modify your system that
relates to xinitrc package, it will help you running different input
methods in X startup based on your locale.

So in general (from easiest to hardest):
1. change language selection in gdm
or
2. change system wide locale thru system-config-language (only support
on the languages you have ticked in anaconda)
or
3. edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n directly to reflect for system wide locale
or
4. edit ~/.i18n to reflect only on specific user's locale

Leon