[Fedora-i18n-list] Testing Simplified Chinese Input

Chong Kai Xiong descender at phreaker.net
Wed Sep 22 20:06:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 19:34 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi Chong,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> Is it following packages
> - libtext-iconv-perl
> - python2.3-iconvcodec

The iconv program is provided with the glibc-common package. It uses the
glibc implementation of the iconv_* functions (gconv) and is part of
glibc.

> What is it for?

From rom the iconv(1) manpage:
"iconv - Convert encoding of given files from one encoding to another"

I normally use it to convert Big5/GB encoded plaintext documents (eg.
HTML, XML, PO, scripts) to UTF-8.

> Is it from Chinese to
> Japanese/Arabic/Indonesian/etc. and vice versa

You would need a language translation program to 'convert' Chinese to
the languages you listed.

The iconv_* functions (therefore iconv), on the other hand, were
designed to deal with conversion of one character encoding to another.

With gconv (and I suspect any other iconv implementation), the specific
conversions are implemented in gconv via modules. From what I
understand, it is possible to write a module that does language
translation as part of the conversion process, but I don't believe it's
been done.

> > Big5 to UTF-8:
> >   iconv -f big5 -t utf8 input.txt > output.txt
>
> e.g.
> File to be encoded = AAA.doc (Big5)
> Output file = BBB.doc (utf8)
>
> Whether to run
> iconv -f big5 -t utf8 AAA.doc > BBB.doc

Yup, that is correct :)

--
Chong Kai Xiong (Descender)

GPG public key: 1024D/83EC297C
Key fingerprint = 51D6 1C5F 36C9 4428 6933  5239 6A45 502B 83EC 297C