[Fedora-i18n-list] Testing Simplified Chinese Input

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 10:45:51 UTC 2004

Hi Chong,

> The iconv program is provided with the glibc-common
> package. It uses the
> glibc implementation of the iconv_* functions
> (gconv) and is part of glibc.

$ which iconv
/usr/bin/iconv

I found it tks

> > What is it for?
>
> From rom the iconv(1) manpage:
> "iconv - Convert encoding of given files from one
> encoding to another"
>
> I normally use it to convert Big5/GB encoded
> plaintext documents (eg.
> HTML, XML, PO, scripts) to UTF-8.

Noted with tks

> > Is it from Chinese to
> > Japanese/Arabic/Indonesian/etc. and vice versa
>
> You would need a language translation program to
> 'convert' Chinese to
> the languages you listed.
>
> The iconv_* functions (therefore iconv), on the
> other hand, were
> designed to deal with conversion of one character
> encoding to another.

Noted.

> With gconv (and I suspect any other iconv
> implementation), the specific
> conversions are implemented in gconv via modules.
> From what I
> understand, it is possible to write a module that
> does language
> translation as part of the conversion process, but I
> don't believe it's
> been done.

$ which gconv
/usr/bin/which: no gconv in
(/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/satimis/bin)

Neither can I find it on Internet

# yum search gconv
No packages found
Looking in installed packages for a providing package
No packages found

Please advise which package generating 'gconv'

Tks

B.R.
Stephen