[Fedora-i18n-list] Formation of new translation team - Chinese (Hong Kong)

Leon Ho llch at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 05:02:51 UTC 2005

Hi Abel,

I am here :) Good to see you again.

For translation wise, it is pretty easy. In Fedora Translation Project, all
you have to do is request what locale you want to add in
fedora-trans-list at redhat.com, and the Translation Project Leader will help
you to add those po files.

Or if you have i18n.redhat.com account already, you can just create a fresh po
files, and cvs add zh_HK.po.

Then, the files will be automagically fetched by the status page [1].

How many Hong Kong contributors you have invited at the moment? When your
community is mature and is over five active members, we can also help to
create a mailing list like fedora-trans-hk.

In regards to your question on modifying configure*/makefiles etc.
'Usually' (of course there are no policy on this) when the maintainer sees
there is a new, fully translated po, he/she will add the appropriate files
updated to install that. If you of course want to speed things up, or the
maintainer missed that, please feel free to notify them.

That is translation part. Before you want to get started, let's think about on
the i18n development part - I would like to pick some of the issues to you
for discussion:
 - How to organize language naming in applications such as anaconda. As you
know currently zh_TW are regarded as Chinese (Traditional).
 - Translation fallback. If there are no translation in zh_HK, how to fall
back to other locale? Using special case like LANGUAGE=zh_HK:zh_TW:zh is the
last thing we want to do in Fedora.

Regards,
Leon

[1]: http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status