[Fedora-i18n-list] Formation of new translation team - Chinese (Hong Kong)

Abel Cheung abelcheung at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:12:14 UTC 2005

On 12/23/05, Sarah Wang <sarahs at redhat.com> wrote:
> Currently there are two Chinese locales exist in Fedora Translation
> Project:
>
> Simplified Chinese - zh_CN
> Traditional Chinese - zh_TW
>
> I understand Hong Kong uses Traditional Chinese - my question is how
> different it is in terms of computer/linux terminologies, comparing with
> other regions using Traditional Chinese (such as Taiwan)? If it's not so
> different, would you consider working with people in fedora-trans-zh_tw
> list?

Hong Kong people have always been using Taiwan translations, and
work together, despite the fact that some usage of words doesn't really
fit Hong Kong users. But recent development changed the situation --
there are wide spread efforts of using semi-political propaganda spreading
words, which doesn't really fit Hong Kong people's style, so there is need
to make sure Hong Kong users have more natural and comfortable UI now.

But indeed, I'll make sure translations won't differ too much by coorperating
with people in fedora-trans-zh_tw. The difference of word usage is not
huge (as between simplified/traditional chinese), so everything is under
control.

Abel

> Sarah
>
> --

Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF