[Fedora-i18n-list] Re: scim & tamil

Alejandro Regodesebes aregodesebes at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Apr 6 18:21:20 UTC 2006

Jens Petersen escribió:
> G Rajesh wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I just activated scim in fedora core 5. I am able to type tamil (ta_IN)
>> in all gtk applications comfortably but not in OpenOffice. Any idea
>> (workarounds) so far to make it work?
>> Any help/link will be appreciated. Otherwise FC5 is just rocking!! Great
>> work developers!
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Rajesh
>
> Not really, but could you please report the problem in
> <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/>.
>
> Thank you,
> Jens
>
> --

Hi.
I don't know if there is an elegant solution for this problem. In my
case, I use OpenOffice.org to write either in Spanish or Chinese, in an
Spanish session (KDE). I uninstalled the OpenOffice.org version that
came with Fedora Core 5 (is too slow) and installed the English packages
that are available in the OpenOffice.org official site, and the
localization packages for Spanish and Chinese.
Then, I adapted a bash script (please, note that I'm not the original
creator of this script, I don't know who wrote it) that runs an instance
of OpenOffice.org with the Chinese environment activated, I put it into
my Desktop, and execute it when I want to write en Chinese on
OpenOffice.org (not elegant, but functional).
The script is:
#!/bin/sh
scim&   #comment this line if you have scim already running in your session
export LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.gb2312" #change this for tamil!
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM    #case matters for this variable!
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
/opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice -$1 #replace this for the path of
your OpenOffice.org

Remember to give it executable permission.

Another reference: the same script but for Arabic language:

#!/bin/sh
scim&   #comment this line if you have scim already running in your session
export LC_CTYPE="ar_EG.UTF-8"
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
/opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice -$1

I have, however, a problem with the chinese fonts when OpenOffice.org is
executed by the script: the fonts doesn't look nice. Fedora Core 4 with
the same version of OpenOffice.org and the scim rpms from Fedora Extras
didn't have any problem; even more, when I save the bad-looking archive,
close scim and open OpenOffice.org alone, the same archive appears
correctly, so I don't know what the problem is.

I hope this can be useful for you.