[Fedora-i18n-list] Thai support in Firefox?

Isriya Paireepairit markpeak at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 07:15:11 UTC 2006

Dear,

Since Thai is in complex text language and need to work out in
line-breaking area (in brief, need extra library/dictionary for
line-breaking). This makes Mozilla.org to delay complete solution for
line-breaking related issues in Mozilla product (Firefox,
Thunderbird). Browser without line-breaking is nearly unusable for
Thai people and the short-term solution is custom build with
line-breaking patch/library.

On Windows and Mac, there are some efforts for custom version, the
downside is to rebuild them every minor release but it's only the way.
On linux, the situation is different since we have packaging system
like RPM/APT/YUM. Next Ubuntu Dapper will included Thai line-breaking
patch for its Firefox as default.

Since there are many Fedora users in Thailand (definitely more than
other distros), I think this is important to ship line-breaking
Firefox as well. I wish to know is this approach possible? We can use
same line-breaking patch as Ubuntu, the main task should be packaging
libthai (line-breaking library) in RPM form and verify.

Thanks

Isriya