installing more fonts by default for better international coverage

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 00:43:46 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot さんは書きました:
>>> dejavu-fonts and dejavu-fonts-experimental also occur in quite a few
>>> language groups, so they might be worth including too?
>
 > I'd rather wait till they get a farsi-friendly arabic variant now that
 > Behdad added locl support to Pango (unless the pango support is good
 > enough to ignore glyphs not specifically tagged for a locale)

Hm, ok - do we have suitable Farsi font currently in Fedora?
Presumably dejavu-fonts will eventually obsolete dejavu-lgc-fonts?

> It's not an overkill, the complete variant of dejavu includes many
> unicode blocks we have no support for in other fonts, so it's referenced
> in the associated language groups (it's *not* referenced in the language
> groups dejavu-lgc already covers)

Right, so from that point of view it would be nice to default to the
full font and there is not much difference in terms of size.

> I'd like Fedora to do a periodic review (at Test1 or 2) of what fonts
> are installed by default, so new fonts are added and fonts superseded by
> others are dropped. Big font lists are very user-unfriendly, especially
> when they stuffed with fonts only a few locales use (ie block-specific
> fonts as opposed to pan-unicode ones)

Sounds like a good idea.  Fedora I18n could help with that specially for
Asian fonts.  Is there a good place on the wiki to put a reminder to do
that during each release test cycle?  In checklist under RelEng perhaps?

Jens