installing more fonts by default for better international coverage

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Aug 23 08:18:13 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 23 août 2007 02:43, Jens Petersen a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot さんは書きました:
>>
>  > I'd rather wait till they get a farsi-friendly arabic variant now
> that
>  > Behdad added locl support to Pango (unless the pango support is
> good
>  > enough to ignore glyphs not specifically tagged for a locale)
>
> Hm, ok - do we have suitable Farsi font currently in Fedora?

Yes. However we don't have a dual arabic/farsi font right now so you
can't default install fonts for those languages (if the arabic variant
gets higher fontconfig prio farsi users are pissed and vice versa).
The problem is ara and farsi share the same unicode glyph range but
they're not supposed to be drawn the same way

> Presumably dejavu-fonts will eventually obsolete dejavu-lgc-fonts?

Hopefully dejavu will include both arabic glyph variants someday so we
can install fonts with arabic glyphs without users objecting.

> Sounds like a good idea.  Fedora I18n could help with that specially
> for
> Asian fonts.  Is there a good place on the wiki to put a reminder to
> do
> that during each release test cycle?  In checklist under RelEng
> perhaps?

Debian maintains a font table in a wiki for its installer, maybe we
can do the same

--
Nicolas Mailhot