[Fedora-i18n-list] Call for a Fedora I18n meeting

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jun 28 07:37:49 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 28 juin 2007 08:22, Jens Petersen a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot さんは書きました:
>> I'd like to attend,
>
> Great!
>
>> but probably only could in the evening (western
>> european time).
>
> OK, that is a bit hard from Asia/Pacific where
> the Red Hat i18n team is located.

I know, my people are in Australia right now.

> We will post logs anyway so you want also followup
> with comments by email of course. :)

Ok.

>> + extented (multimedia) key Fedora target (wait-and-see, active
>> Fedora
>> push, to evdev or not to evdev?)
>
> Not quite sure how this relates to i18n.  Are you proposing
> to use it for international input or something?

Fixing Fedora input needs switching to evdev someday. It's very likely
this switch will unearth bugs in the handling of international
keyboards, as most evdev testers probably only use western keyboards
(probably not too difficult to fix stuff, but i18n should be ready for
the switch)

>> + what to do when upstream is dormant or end-user unfriendly? Where
>> and how should user feedback be directed? Do we need a Fedora-level
>> i18n technical hub? Do we have the resources for it? (hunspell
>> dicts,
>> xkb maps, console maps, abandonware fonts, etc)
>
> Ok.  Some of these may be case-by-case. Let's discuss when you can
> join.

Unfortunately while some cases are extremes you have a general pattern
of i18n not getting sufficient feedback because of langage barriers.
At best you have translation teams but i18n is far more than
translation. People (esp. people new to Linux) just assume things are
broken by default and there's nothing to be done (You learn there are
problems when you go to local forums and someone rants about Fedora
i18n problems, but you never get the problem reports directly)

That's why other distros have i18n hubs with a strong presence and
activity. It's dishearting to notice time and time again other distros
manage to get problem reports for stuff which was pushed in Fedora
months before without anyone reacting.

--
Nicolas Mailhot