[fedora-india] Fedora Indian Language remixes

shantanu choudhary shantanu at sarai.net
Sat Dec 13 09:13:15 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I have also worked on creating Fedora 8 and 9 local language distribution
using kickstart files.I used them with Fedora DVD only, cause i was told
that we don't have option of installing system using liveCD(pardon me if i
am wrong,will try to confirm it on my personal account asap), and i was
targeting installable media. I posted here earlier too related to problems i
faced with kickstrat files and other things. But in the end i was successful
in providing minimal features which were installed by default.
I was targetting all the Indian languages available irrespective of there
effort and percentage of translation.(Hindi, bengali, assamese, tamil,
telgu, oriya, punjabi, malyalam, gujrati, marathi)

Here is the list of packages i was targeting:

   - Gnome desktop environment.
   - OpenOffice.
   - Scribus.
   - GIMP.
   - scim with local language support(.
   - mozilla-firefox.
   - pidgin.

Please don't take this list of packages as point of discussion, it was just
my personal prefrence. So in case we can install using liveCD, and can have
these packages in CD, i would be happy to volunteer for helping you out. As
far as customization is concerned, i have used revisor, and am comfortable
with kickstart files. I have never tried to create LiveCD's. Else will try
to fit kickstart file in normal DVD's only and let you know of final status.
In case you have some plan or suggestion's let me know.
I am also available with nick 'baali' on #fedora-india channel.

Regards
Shantanu Choudhary