[fedora-india] Fedora 11 Networking

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 01:33:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<foss.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Mani A <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is a minor thing for anybody with a little experience. The rpms are
>> present in the repositories
>> and can be installed after download with rpm -Uvh....
>>
>> It is easy to make respins. The original kickstart file will require a
>> minor modification.
>
> Modifying the kickstart might be easy, however maintaining the spin is
> where the actual rubber hits the road. Last time I checked, we had
> plenty of such nice ideas, but no one did come up and say "here I am
> going to maintain this Spin". Which is where all plans of mice and men
> tend to unravel.

The packages were removed due to shortage of space apparently.
So I do not think there is anything really to be maintained. Again
nobody is going to ever consider removing rp-pppoe from RHEL.. The new
spin would be just the original +  2-3 packages in repos.

Also rp-pppoe has no new dependencies.

Do you have any statistics on how people use dsl/ADSL in different countries?
Along these lines:

By plain bridge protocol,
Through USB modems,
Through routers + ethernet
Through routers + two layers of firewall +ethernet
Bridges + more advanced h/w

I think at least 50% of the home users in India must be using the
bridge protocol on cheaper adsL modems and adsl routers cum modems.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani