[fedora-india] Fedora 11 Networking

Tue Apr 14 04:06:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Mani A <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:

> The packages were removed due to shortage of space apparently.
> So I do not think there is anything really to be maintained. Again
> nobody is going to ever consider removing rp-pppoe from RHEL.. The new
> spin would be just the original +  2-3 packages in repos.

The new spin needs a maintainer - do I take it that you are
volunteering to maintain it ? Most Spins fall through the crack
because no one wants to maintain them. That was the precise point I
was making in the earlier mail.

The adsl-setup | start | stop script use the settings in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 to bring the interface
up/down etc. So, a hard route is to figure out how to configure that
using text editors. The somewhat easier route might be to test out
whether NetworkManager actually can handle DSL connections and, if
there are significant end user annoyance, file appropriate bugs to fix
get it fixed (or, perhaps motivate a student well enough to take this
as a summer project and introduce this feature into NM)

As regards package removal/inclusion in RHEL, the logic and workflow
is a bit different than what it is in Fedora (although there are long
chalks of similarity).