[fedora-india] Fedora - India meet logs

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 08:26:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

My thoughts below:

--- On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM, sankarshan
<foss.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
| How can we get going with [1] unofficial reviews and, [2] official
| reviews ? Do we have a good number of folks who are capable of [2] ?
\--

1. It will be nice if we could have a backlog items that fedora-india
packagers are currently reviewing or is in the pipeline. This could be
sent to this mailing list periodically so we can see who needs help,
and it can also be discussed during our regular IRC meet-ups.

Scrum [1] is nice in this regard, when you have an overall product
backlog, and the packagers and sponsors can decide on the sprint
backlog, and that they will deliver this package within the sprint
timeframe, so there is a commitment from every side.

2. I understand Sponsors are limited in number, while the list of
packages is huge. It will be helpful if Sponsors can spend atleast 20%
of their package reviews with newcomers to packaging.

3. Spins are ideal for newcomers because the Sponsors have a very
focussed approach to which packages they need, and when newcomers pick
them up, there is a win-win situation for both. Also their backlog
(FEL, for example) is very well "Trac"ked. I am not sure if SIGs have
something like this, and I believe this is usually left to a Sponsor
to review the package, depending on time and availability. If review
doesn't happen, newcomers lose interest.

4. People who regularly do packaging already feel that their
contribution is useful. But, for newcomers, it is important to
periodically see how well they are doing, are there any impediments,
where do they need help (not to be read as hand holding or
spoon-feeding) but to make sure that they *belong* to the project. It
will help them go a long way!

SK

[1] Scrum (development). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28development%29

--