Introduction / Xen Stuff

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Fri Dec 22 18:25:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

My name is Michael DeHaan, and I work in Red Hat's emerging technologies
group in Raleigh, NC.    I joined this list because (A) I really want to
get more involved in the Fedora project beyond maintaining some extras
packages, (B) I'm hoping that I can contribute some on the Xen and
systems-management side of things, since I've heard infrastructure is
going to start to do more with virtual machines.   I also have a good
deal of experience with other companies build systems (but not Red Hat's
or Fedora's) and possibly I might be able to contribute some there also,
or at least learn more about Fedora's setup.  Mainly I'm interested in
systems management and virtualization stuff though.

Xen-wise, two things.   I wrote and maintain a provisioning application
called cobbler (http://cobbler.et.redhat.com), which potentially could
be useful for provisioning Xen boxes in the infrastructure environment.
Maybe.  If not, maybe it can be extended, and feedback is awesome.  If
it's not useful, that's ok.

The other thing is that I'm looking at ways to deploy Xen in easy ways
for Fedora users, basically an open way of managing a /lot/ of Xen
machines with integrated configuration management, central interfaces,
and not a lot of setup or technical knowledge needed.    That's all
pretty new, though if some of that would be useful for infrastructure as
it evolves, that would be pretty neat.   Either way, I figure I can
learn from ways that Fedora is using Xen just the same.

Anyhow, hi.

--Michael