Introduction / Xen Stuff

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 22 19:17:03 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Michael DeHaan, and I work in Red Hat's emerging technologies
> group in Raleigh, NC.    I joined this list because (A) I really want to
> get more involved in the Fedora project beyond maintaining some extras
> packages, (B) I'm hoping that I can contribute some on the Xen and
> systems-management side of things, since I've heard infrastructure is
> going to start to do more with virtual machines.   I also have a good
> deal of experience with other companies build systems (but not Red Hat's
> or Fedora's) and possibly I might be able to contribute some there also,
> or at least learn more about Fedora's setup.  Mainly I'm interested in
> systems management and virtualization stuff though.

Welcome Michael.  Our current Xen infrastructure is pretty small and
we pretty much have no "management" system for the actual machines
though as we grow that need will become more apparent.  I'm
particularly interested in giving trusted parties[1] the ability to
deploy some of our infrastructure if need be.  A management system or
at least a start of tools would be great for that.

At present we have 3 xen servers with many guest OS's.  Pretty much
all machines built from here on out will be in a xen guest as upgrades
happen or new machines get installed.  The two exceptions to this may
be the CVS stuff (which is still up in the air on the best way to do
that) and the backup server.

Seeing as we're becoming so dependant on Xen its good to have another
xen guy on the team.

                   -Mike

[1] trusted parties - We should figure out how to define this.  We'll
wait till the full timer gets on to have more time to examine options
for expanding our infrastructure beyond duke and the phx colo.