Introduction (and cfengine)

David Douthitt ssrat at ticon.net
Fri Dec 22 19:03:55 UTC 2006

Hello!

I am a UNIX System Administrator from the midwest (Wisconsin), and have
worked with multiple open source and proprietary UNIX and Linux
environments.  (I'll skip over the UNIX and non-Red Hat experiences
unless there is interest.)  I've used Linux on non-Intel machines as
well as Intel machines (PARISC and PowerPC specifically).  I've used BSD
systems as well, including  on non-Intel architectures.  I'm also
certified: RHCE, SCSA, Linux+, and LPI Level 1.

First time I used Linux was Slackware on a 386SX-16MHz machine with 4M
of RAM; my oldest Red Hat is Red Hat 2 on a Linux User Group CD I still
have around here.  I also have 4.4BSD Lite and FreeBSD 2.2.6 and OpenBSD
2.6 on CDs.....

I had my own floppy-based Linux distribution (Oxygen) based on the Linux
Router Project.  I have, in the past, also "built" my own Red Hat
Enterprise systems without the benefit of an installer, and also in some
cases from source RPMs alone (rather than binary RPMs).

As far as cfengine goes, I contribute sporadically to the cfengine
documentation, mostly proofreading and copyediting.  I will be embarking
on a book about cfengine shortly (after I complete the GNU screen
book).  I have run cfengine in a production environment and tend to be
rather a voracious supporter of cfengine :-)

I've not used puppet, but am a Ruby programmer and would like to learn
more about it - it was designed after using cfengine and was designed to
use the power of Ruby.

I'm also a long-time Korn shell scripter - I used ksh for scripting
before I used ksh as my shell!  (I used csh then, but programmed in ksh.)

I've also programmed in Perl.  I've used Perl since the MSDOS 4.0 port,
and Ruby since version 1.4.

I also tend to be something of a programmer and programming languages
nut; I've used FORTH (extensively and comprehensively), Smalltalk
(dabble), LISP (moderate), and BASIC, C, Pascal, C++, COBOL, SNOBOL, all
moderate to extensively.  I contributed to the LCDd project briefly
(mostly revamping the system to use GNU getopts).

I'll be joining the documentation group at the same time.  I'll also
post a cfengine review shortly.

--
David Douthitt
HP-UX, Unixware, Linux, FreeBSD