Miror management - downloads and users

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 19 14:30:53 UTC 2007

Hi

When we announced the FC6 statistics milestone of a million users, it
was described as the amount of downloads in many places. This widespread
confusion even internally in Red Hat is probably many software projects
like say Firefox usually advertise their download rates. One way to
avoid this is provide both download and user estimates except that we
dont really have download numbers.

We could ask each of the mirrors to send us the data but that is a bit
tedious and mirrors might not participate. A better way might be a
mirror list designed to allow us to keep tab of the downloads. sf.net
for example has a web page that is not a static list of mirrors but a
web page with a round robin system. We could do something like that or
geo ip based page which suggests the mirrors near to them. I dont think
we would be able to know partial downloads with this but it allows us a
more accurate estimate of much of these downloads actually translate
into users. Comments?

Rahul