IPv6 for Fedora services?

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Mon Aug 24 02:21:08 UTC 2009

On 08/23/2009 04:50 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> The automatic Internet2 detection will need some help too, as right
> now the BGP tables I'm pulling from
>    http://syslog.abilene.ucaid.edu/bgp/WASH/RIBS/
> is only listing IPv4 addresses.

neat :) didn't know about this.

> As for serving other content, if it's fronted by the proxy servers
> (e.g. web content), then it should naturally start working via the
> IPv6-enabled proxys.  Testing will prove that out.

Yep.

Though I would prioritize A+AAAA web setups below other tasks, since web
content has the greatest possibility of meeting a misconfigured user,
who cannot figure out what went wrong.

> For non-web content (git, cvs, ssh?), I believe this is mostly hosted
> in PHX, which at this point we don't believe has native IPv6.  How can
> we go about requesting such in the colo?  I presume this is something
> that Red Hat IS would have to ask for on our behalf.  I'd much rather
> try to get native going, instead of dealing with 6to4 (the nearest
> 6to4 server is 10 hops and 60+ms away) or tunnels.

Agreed...  unless native IPv6 is estimated to be years away.

Internal pushing at RH has yielded very little result...

> fedorapeople is at BU, which has some native IPv6 capability, but it's
> not clear they use it:
>    http://www.mrp.net/IPv6_Survey.html
>
> As for DNS servers (serving DNS over IPv6), we have:
> ns1 is at serverbeach.

Best googled estimates are "probably by the end of 2009"

> ns2 is at ibiblio.

That's the good news.  ibiblio has been experimenting with IPv6 for
years:  http://theclassicalstation.org/press/2004_ipv6.shtml

Also, another DNS issue:  getting AAAA glue records served by the .org
registrar.

> We'll need to know their native IPv6 capability before proceeding
> there.  This is less critical, as most users are still doing their DNS
> lookups to an IPv4 DNS server at their ISP.  But it would be nice.

Technically this is true... but it is also true that most users are
still doing IPv4 ;)

I tend to look at DNS as a "sooner rather than later" hurdle, because
that is the first link necessary to construct an all-IPv6 path to the
destination servers.

	Jeff