IPv6 for Fedora services?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Aug 27 05:01:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 05:11:37PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 06:17:44AM +0100, David JM Emmett wrote:
> > That is why ip6tables exists ;)
>
> Here's a proposed ip6tables-template.conf.erb.

I committed a slightly different template to puppet/staging that I
built on an EL-5 box.  EL-5 doesn't have ip6tables conntrack, so -m
state functions won't work there.

I've done some more digging, and posted my findings on [1]
specifically that our torrent tracker doesn't support IPv6, though the
VM is on a machine that has a global IPv6 address.  I've started
looking at building opentracker, which is under a beerware license (so
acceptable).  It requires libowfat, which in Fedora is built against
dietlibc.  Neither libowfat nor dietlibc are built on EL-5.  I've
reached out to the mainainers of these to see if they will branch, or
if we can build libowfat for EL-5 against glibc.

At the moment, hosts and VMs housed at iBiblio can be reached via IPv6
global addresses natively.  No word from Telia yet, though some people
here think they're capable, but our VMs there aren't getting addresses
automatically assigned.  OSUOSL has plans in the works and hope to
have something within a few months.  BU is about a year away from
production use.  Our other kind hosting facilities have no plans at
this time.

With what we have at iBiblio, we could enable ns2, proxy4, and
torrent1 pretty easily.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/IPv6
[2] http://erdgeist.org/arts/software/opentracker/

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO