Precision 490 Reboot Hang

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 21:52:19 UTC 2007

I've had the same problem and not gotten around to reporting it.  I hadn't
tried reboot=bios.  For me, x86_64 kernels reboot fine but i386 kernels
hang at reboot, on the same machine.  Mine has BIOS version A06, and
behaved the same with A04 before upgrading.  This started in upstream
kernels between 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 IIRC, and Fedora kernels since 2.6.23
behave the same as my hand-built upstream kernels.

Sometimes sysrq-b works on a boot where formal reboot hangs, though once in
a while it hangs at sysrq-b too.

Possibly relevant, boot messages include:

	ACPI: System BIOS is requesting _OSI(Linux)
	ACPI: If "acpi_osi=Linux" works better,
	Please send dmidecode to linux-acpi at vger.kernel.org

I haven't tried any acpi*= or reboot= kernel options.

Thanks,
Roland