Precision 490 Reboot Hang

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 14:35:07 UTC 2007

Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 16:47 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Thomas J. Baker wrote:
>>> I've got a Precision 490 that hangs at reboot unless I use reboot=bios
>>> on the kernel command line. A bug filed against the kernel should
>>> include what other information?
>> I might suggest looking for a BIOS update and/or downgrade before you
>> file any bugs. I've got a Precision 490 here that reboots just peachy.
>> Dell actually has bios updates that can be done from Linux on these boxes.
>>

> I'm running the latest BIOS as it was shipped with the machine. I'd
> rather use reboot=bios than run an old BIOS.

Sorry, I was suggesting it more as a "see if this is a bios issue and
not a kernel issue" than "fix it by running an old bios". Did you see
Roland's note about his own 490? He said his only fails to reboot when
running an i386 kernel, but works fine w/an x86_64 kernel, which doesn't
conflict with what I've seen, since mine's also running an x86_64
kernel. He also mentioned that this started sometime between 2.6.22 and
2.6.23. If you are indeed running a 32-bit kernel, it sounds like an
i686-specific kernel bug.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com