Longing for git-bisect

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 00:52:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 07:41:53PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
 > Has anyone played with keeping the Fedora kernel in a git tree
 > somewhere?

I looked at using it as a primary SCM last month just after FUDcon.
The idea didn't work out so well as it's really painful to pull out
invasive changesets from a git tree.  The only alternative I came
up with was a script that would generate a 'build' tree from a
zillion branches.  Even this didn't work out due to excessive
rejects that needed fixing up when I dropped/readded a branch.
It also meant that bisect was useless as it threw away the history
each time it was generateed.

Zaitcev had something that tracked the Fedora tree, but I never
found time to look at what he did.

 > Current rawhide makes my T60p weep on a regular basis in the
 > form of nice hard lockups with no oops output or anything.  I'd love to
 > be able to do a bisect on the kernel and see where things started going
 > south.  I just have no idea how to do that with the tree the way it
 > currently is.

I bet it's the E1000 driver.  I've seen similar things happen
on an X60, as have others on Fedora list.  Intel people are
poking at it without much luck so far. I even tried turning off
tickless again, on a hunch that it might be that. No joy.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk