Spinning kernel-vanilla packages via standard spec

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Fri Mar 30 21:28:10 UTC 2007

Roland McGrath wrote:
> I already got it working and posted the spec and Makefile patch here.

Gah, sorry, I saw the patch, but missed that the spec mods were included
in it too.

> (I've also got my stuff for building from git branches working now.)
> Nobody answered about whether they wanted it committed.
>
> I didn't do it in a way intended to produce different variant rpms called
> kernel-vanilla-V-R, if that's what you had in mind.

It is. And I was under the impression that's what Dave was thinking too,
but I'll let him speak for himself.

> That requires
> basically duplicating all the innards of the spec file.  I don't think that
> should be attempted without a complete cleanup of the spec file to become
> sane.

More specifically, what I had in mind was to add just one more variant,
so you'd have kernel, kernel-xen, kernel-kdump, kernel-PAE, etc., plus
now a kernel-vanilla, which would be analogous to kernel minus patches
-- i.e., don't bother with kernel-vanilla-xen, kernel-vanilla-kudmp, etc.

Not to say that a spec file sanitization/sane-itization wouldn't be good
to do as well (which I'm also perfectly willing to take on -- a few
steps in this direction were taken earlier today).

> What I've done is sufficient for making a vanilla build like this one:
> http://porkchop.devel.redhat.com/brewroot/scratch/roland/task_700227/

Cool, I'll read your patch more carefully now. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com