Needed: An easier way to build a subset of kernel packages

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Sat Mar 31 01:20:20 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 01:26 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Turns out the complexity of adding --with/--without support only
>> resulted in the on/off lines at the top of the spec being slightly
>> longer, so one can now additionally pass in, say, --without xen, on the
>> rpmbuild line to disable building a xen kernel. For example, here's the
>> results of a test build using the modified spec:
>
> Cute. That reduces the chances that I commit the local change that's
> usually in my tree which turns off kdump on ppc64, and smp on ppc32.
>
> How do I get it to work with the Makefile? This doesn't...
>  $ make RPM_DEFINES="--without kdump" ppc64

Hrm, not sure why that doesn't pass the option through, but I hadn't
even thought to look at the Makefile to see how these flags would work
at that level. Out of curiosity, does the following work?:

$ make RPM_DEFINES="--define 'with_kdump 0'"

I suppose I ought to poke at that some myself... Adding to my todo list.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com