Needed: An easier way to build a subset of kernel packages

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Sat Mar 31 04:22:32 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 21:20 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> Hrm, not sure why that doesn't pass the option through, but I hadn't
>> even thought to look at the Makefile to see how these flags would work
>> at that level. Out of curiosity, does the following work?:
>>
>> $ make RPM_DEFINES="--define 'with_kdump 0'"
>>
>> I suppose I ought to poke at that some myself... Adding to my todo list.
>
> I used the trick I learned from the end of the existing Makefile...
>
> [root at ps3 devel]# tail -4 Makefile
> compile compile-short: DIST_DEFINES += --target $(shell uname -m)
>
> ppc64: DIST_DEFINES += --without kdump
> ppc: DIST_DEFINES += --without smp
>

> Now I just have to remember never to commit the Makefile :)

Ooh, I like it... Along those lines, what if we had Makefile include a
Makefile.local if it existed, which was .cvsignore'd? Then you could
tweak your local default build prefs to your hearts content without
having to worry about accidentally committing them...

/me still needs to actually *read* the Makefile at this point... ;)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com