utrace is back

Doug Chapman doug.chapman at hp.com
Fri Mar 28 18:35:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 13:40 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I've put the 2.6.25 rebase of utrace back in and kicked off a build.
> I'll pick up the pieces if it comes out all broken.
> (It already did, cause I forgot to test the ppc32 build upstream.)
>
> For the moment it's applied as one big patch instead of a series.
> I haven't figured out the arrangement for the new series yet.
>
> There is some amount of mayhem going on and this rebase was kind of hack
> and slash.  But there's more churn than real change.  About a third of the
> work is upstream now.  All of the "quick and dirty" I've put together this
> week is actually either what's already upstream or nearly identical to
> what's been in F8 et al for a long time.  So despite the late date and
> general disorganization of it all, this won't be as destabilizing as it sounds.

Roland,

There was an odd bug introduced by this on ia64.  With your patch I get
this build error:

arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S: Assembler messages:
arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S:723: Error: Operand 2 of `and' should be an 8-bit integer (-128-127)
arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S:723: Error: qualifying predicate not followed by instruction
arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S:851: Error: Operand 2 of `and' should be an 8-bit integer (-128-127)
arch/ia64/kernel/entry.S:851: Error: qualifying predicate not followed by instruction

This is caused by the change of
#define TIF_RESTORE_SIGMASK   5

#define TIF_RESTORE_SIGMASK   22

Is there a need to change this bit from 5 to 22?  If that really is
needed we are going to need to change entry.S to handle it (which I will
need to find an ia64 asm expert for advice on this).

thanks,

- Doug